The installation of lightning protection Sydney systems is to intercept lightning strikes. These systems carry the electrical current safely to the ground, which reduces the possibility of damage. It would be best for you to engage professionals such as ATM Tanks to install systems like these.
These protective systems usually include using lightning rods. The system’s design directs the electrical current safely to the ground, far from the house and its occupants. The cost of such systems varies widely. If you want to install a lightning protection Sydney system, you need to consult your broker or insurance agent to determine whether you qualify for a property insurance discount.
Invest time to check the business or contractor’s qualifications, such as ATM Tanks, who will install the system.
Lightning Strikes Peak during summer.
Lightning strikes during any season; however, summer months in Sydney are the peak time. Most claims related to lightning are for destroyed electronic equipment. A standard protector does not prevent electrical equipment from destruction during a storm. Many electronics in most homes and high rise buildings in Sydney today are very vulnerable to such damage. Any device that you plug into an electrical outlet is susceptible.
Safety during a lightning
When there are lightning storms, there is no safe area outdoors. If you hear thunder, it means you are within reach of a lightning strike. If a lightning storm starts as you are driving, park by the shoulder of the road, far from any trees that may fall on the car. Stay inside the car.
Cars have metal exteriors and hardtops that mainly protect the car occupants during lightning storms. They should ensure the windows are closed and avoid touching metal items that may conduct electricity. When lightning strikes cars, it usually travels through the tires to the ground, and the occupants remain unharmed.
When lightning hits homes, people who use computers or landline telephones often are injured. There are three main ways lightning enters your premises:
- Through wires or pipes
- Direct strike
- Through plumbing, which spreads outside or through the ground.
Structure of a lightning protection Sydney system
- Air Terminals: They are also known as lightning rods. They are inconspicuous aluminium or copper rods that the professionals at ATM Tanks expertly mount on the roof at frequent intervals. These air terminals work as strike receptors and capture the lightning strike.
- Main Conductors: These are braided cables made of copper or aluminium. They link the air terminals to the other system sections and the grounds.
- Grounds: All the structures need a minimum of two ground rods installed at least 10 feet deep inside the ground. The ground terminations guide the risky current inside the ground to reduce the chance of damage or injury to the building.
- Bonds: bonding connects metallic bodies (roof sections) and grounded structural systems to the central conductor. It ensures conductivity and stops side flashing (lightning soaring between two items).
- Surge arresters and suppressors: A surge describes a rise in electrical current because of a lightning strike on or close to a utility service or power line. ATM Tanks install surge suppression at the electrical panel(s) to avoid overvoltage that can trigger a fire. We install arresters at electrical panels to protect heavy appliances and stop fires at service panel entrances. More devices might be required to protect other electronics in the home. Usually, we install surge protection devices together with a lightning protection Sydney systems.
- Tree protection: A lightning protection Sydney system is recommended for any taller tree than your home or within 10 feet of the building. Trees do not provide security, and many homeowners prefer to protect trees for their benefit. An exposed tree, which is near your home, can also trigger a side-flash hazard.
Consult the experts at ATM Tanks today. We guarantee your home or buildings maximum protection with our lightning protection Sydney system.
- Is Your GRP Water Tank Leaking? Fix Your Leaking Tank Today With ATM - September 15, 2020
- Tips And Tricks For Efficient Water Tank Cleaning. - July 30, 2020
- Maintenance Of Industrial Tanks – Important Procedures - June 10, 2020